Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Compassion, Part 1

Ok, so this is going to be backwards, but that's ok. AND it might be a little long, but bear with me please!  I promise it's worth it!  :) I am going to talk about my experiences with Honduras, starting with the most recent.  Don't worry, it'll all make sense soon enough.  I hope!

So this story relates to this past August when I went to Honduras to visit the two children I sponsor.  One boy is 14, and his name is Jarol (he actually turned 14 while I was there, soooo exciting!), and the other boy is 9, and his name is Josue.  I've been sponsoring the older boy for 4 years now, and the younger boy I started sponsoring sometime last year. (2010)

I took this trip with someone I met actually through my first sponsored child Jarol.  I met him through facebook earlier this year, and when he started talking about visiting Honduras, I got so excited!  He was nice enough to invite me to go, and I jumped at the opportunity.

Actually, it took me until about 3 weeks before the trip to actually commit, but that's ok.  I was onboard the whole time!  We all knew it.

The best part was that neither of my boys knew I was coming.  I kept it a total surprise.  Jarol met us at the airport, and as soon as he saw me, he came over to me and hugged me and cried a bit.  Tear.  When I met the other boy for the first time, he didn't know what to do.  He just sat there and looked at me and smiled.  It was a little awkward at first trying to break the ice, but awesome nonetheless.

The trip was incredible and we did so many things.  I was not able to photograph everything because of safety reasons, but I did photograph most of the trip.  Here's a quick summary of what we did:

Went to splash world.
Went shopping at the mall.
Went to the movies.
Went out to eat everyday!
Celebrated Jarol's birthday.
I saw their soccer games.
Went shopping in a marketplace.
Chilled out.

It was such an awesome experience, and I'm so thankful to God that I was able to make this trip.  These kids and their families are very important to me, and to be able to see them and spend time with them was a huge blessing.  I was able to see them all day every day, and we did whatever we wanted.  It was great!

In my next blog, I'll talk about how I first came to sponsor them, and share some pictures from my first visit in 2007.  Until then, I hope you enjoy these photographs! 

This is the man I went with, Jason, and one of his sponsored children.



Mi hijo.  This is Jarol, 14.



This is Jarol's mom and his two younger sisters.


Jarol's baby sister, Evelyn.




This is Sandra, the other person I went with.


This is Jarol's other sister, Yudi. 


Number 5 is my other boy, Josue.  I was so incredibly excited to be able to watch their games!  I was surprised at how good they are, too!






This is Jarol showing off, and scoring some goals!












Josue is the boy all the way to the right.  This was one of my favorite images from the trip.







Mi hombrecito!  Josue!


Oh no.....a pic of me!  lol


Mi y mi bonita amiga, Tania.


Jarol's birthday cake.  I was there for the day of his birthday, (so awesome), and I bought him this cake to celebrate.










Jarol and I at Applebee's for his birthday.  It was his first time at Applebee's, and his first time eating ribs.  Such an awesome night!


Quiero mi hijo mucho.

1 comment: